Danger of Black Mold with Families of Young Children
Although people nowadays are more aware of mold, sometimes people suffering from mold symptoms don’t realize it and assume that they have hay fever or a simple cold. Usually, it is not an easy job to recognize whether symptoms of a person are due to mold or not. It is because health issues caused by other microorganisms also have similar symptoms.
However, if you have mold in your home, and a family member, especially, a kid is feeling sick for no obvious reason, they most probably mold is the culprit. In fact, black mold is very dangerous form families who have young children.
How Do Molds Affect Health of Young Children?
Molds produce tiny spores. These weightless spores initiate the production of new molds. They are also responsible for compromising the indoor air quality.
When a human body inhales these spores, the immune system of the body identifies them as a foreign body and respond by triggering allergic reactions. Although these reactions are created due to the natural defense system of the body, they may create various health issues and severe allergic reactions.
The reaction to mold is different by the immune system of different people, but young children, old people, and sickness-prone people are vulnerable due to the adverse effects of the spores of molds.
The severity of the symptoms depends on the type of mold present in your house and the extent of their exposure. Young children whose immune system is still developing are more prone to serious complications due to black mold.
Effects of Black Mold on Young Children:
There are many health issues in young children that are related to mold. Some of these are:
· Respiratory Problems:
Scientists have been closely studying the relationship between living in a mild-affected environment and the severity of various respiratory diseases in children.
If a young child inhales mold spores, he or she may suffer from different respiratory issues, which are usually, similar to those of seasonal allergies. The symptoms of these diseases include:
o Shortness of breath
o Itchy nose
o A runny nose
o A sore throat
o Nasal congestion
o Other flu-like symptoms
If a child already has asthma, inhaling molds cannot only trigger frequent attacks but also worsen chronic lung disease.
Other than black molds, many other types of molds are also dangerous for young children and cause some really troublesome allergic reactions. They produce a toxic substance called mycotoxins, which is harmful to children and even cause death.
The mycotoxins of the black molds start affecting the nasal cavity, mouth, and throat. It causes a burning and irritating sensation in these body parts. If somehow, this toxin gets loaded in the mucous membrane, any sinus, or the lungs, it can cause severe breathing problems and in the worst-case scenario, bleeding in the lungs.
Many studies have proven the consequences of mold-exposure in the early lives of children. However, exposure to black mold is extremely dangerous as it can cause hemorrhagic-pneumonia and consequential death in infants.
· Neurological Symptoms:
Other than respiratory problems, any children who get exposed to black mold experience some neurological symptoms as well. The trichothecene mycotoxins can literally kill brain neurons in the young children. This particular toxin is produced by black molds. Trichothecene mycotoxins impair the brain function and cause various nervous disorders, irritability, and mood swings in children. Some of the most common symptoms of black-mold on the nervous system of children include:
o Disorientation and confusion
o Short attention span
o Slow reflexes
o Shaking and trembling
o Memory loss and other memory-related problems
· Skin Problems:
Mycotoxin produced by black mold can also enter the human body through the skin, especially through the delicate skin of young children.
Therefore, when a young child’s skin comes in contact with spores of black mold, they cause rashes, irritation, itching, and other skin problems.
· Eye Irritations:
The health problems caused by the toxin of black mold are not limited to skin, respiratory system, and nerves of the brain. When spores of black mold come in contact with the eyes of children, they cause irritation and other vision problems.
Some common symptoms of eye problems are:
o Watery eyes
o Eye inflammation
o Eye soreness
o Itchy eyes
o Blurry vision
o Red or bloodshot eyes
· Black Mold and Other Health Problems:
When a human body is exposed to the toxin of black mold for long, it may cause severe damage to the internal organs of the body.
The toxin produced by the black mold can be easily inhaled, ingested, and absorbed by the eyes and skin of the body. If the mycotoxins find a way to the bloodstream of the body, they may cause several severe circulatory symptoms and vascular problems. These problems include:
o Irregular heartbeat
o Heart damage
o Heart inflammation
o Blood clotting problems
o Low blood pressure
o Internal or external hemorrhage
Other Common Black Mold Allergic Symptoms:
Some other common symptoms of mold allergy include:
o Chronic fatigue
o Muscular pain
o Chest pain
o Abdominal pain
o Joint pain
o Weakness and general discomfort
o Ear infection
o Hearing Problem
o Hair loss
o Flu-like symptoms/Recurring colds
How to Deal with Molds in Home:
Molds live in the humid environment. You are more likely to find mold in damp places like bathrooms, basements, and kitchens.
However, mold removal is not an easy task. You need to find all molds from everywhere and kill them. You also need to kill the spores produced by these molds.
Therefore, unless molds are present in a small area, you may need to get help from a professional to get rid of molds. These professionals not only remove molds from your house, but they also make sure that you don’t have to face any such problem in future.
Once you have eradicated all molds and their spores from your house, mold-allergy symptoms start fading gradually. Some health effects, however, remain forever. For instance, if a child is exposed to mold for long, his immune system will weaken, and it will remain weak forever. Such people are more prone to mold and their mycotoxins for the rest of their life.