How to Recognize and Treat Toxic Mold

Most toxic molds are slimy with greenish-black growth that can cause severe health risks. Mold is found in most parts of buildings since it can spread on all kinds of materials including wood, paper or dirt. Molds mostly thrive in warm moist environments like baths, kitchens, basements, and showers. Some molds are visible to the naked eyes while others are not. Not all kinds of molds are dangerous, but they should be removed as if they were harmful in the first place.

Some toxigenic molds like black molds release toxins that are irritating or harmful for mycotoxins individuals (preexisting conditions). Mycotoxins are produced as mold spores and grow, eat and form colonies with available spores.

How to Recognize and Treat Toxic Mold

  1. Recognizing toxic mold

Most kinds of molds have a distinctive smell (that of urine in some cases, or wet carpet). Toxic mold like black mold is not easy to detect and mostly grow under ceilings and behind walls. Floating mold particles are invisible to naked eyes hence impossible to identify where they settle until they start to grow. Loose particles of mold that accumulate on items within a household can cause serious health risk when inhaled.

Look for black and slimy clustered growths especially around warm and moist areas. If you start coughing, wheezing or sneezing signals that there are molds in the room even if you don’t see them. Try to look for its causes of growth like lack of ventilation, leak, and wood, papers or food.

  1. Treating toxic mold
  • Dispose of anything causing the mold growth.
  • Remove all the objects from the areas that haven’t been affected by the mold growth
  • Seal the room by putting plastic sheets on doors and windows and set up an air purifier to capture mold spores.
  • Remember to wear protective items of clothing like mask, boots, gloves and mold-resistant suit.
  • Remove and replace all the mold-damaged drywalls from the room and cover the affected non-porous surfaces with a fungicidal or bleach agent.
  • Give the rooms some time to dry before renovating the place.

Preventive measures

  • Clean your home daily
  • Keep your house humidity as low as possible by use of a dehumidifier
  • Offer adequate ventilation in your house especially bathroom and kitchen
  • Always include mold inhibitors in paint before painting
  • Avoid carpeting in the bathroom
  • Ensure that all your rain gutters are clean and don’t block water drainage
  • Always treat mold issues as soon as you detect it

Conclusion

All kinds of mold pose serious health risks; hence should be taken seriously: individuals with allergies, asthma or immune system issues are vulnerable to mold. Remember to seek professional help if the contamination in your house is more significant.

https://www.medicinenet.com/mold_exposure/article.htm#is_it_possible_to_prevent_mold_in_the_household

https://www.healthline.com/health/black-mold-exposure

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.